Monday, March 23, 2009

I just gotta get this out there

Okay, so most of you are aware that my stubborn three year-old twins are potty training RESISTANT. Most of the time, they REFUSE to even sit on the potty. I feel badly, but I'm finding myself resenting changing them because they're not potty trained. Yeah, I know it makes me sound like a bad mommy, but that's how I've been feeling. Every time I change a diaper, I can't help but feel frustrated and hopeless. There are SO MANY kids out there who are much younger than my girls who are potty trained. I feel like the BIGGEST failure as a mother. I mean, if I can't even potty train my kids, and I'm a stay at home mom, what good am I? I swear that I hear of a new kid every week who just got potty trained, and the Stuart twins continue wearing diapers. (sigh) I mean, how do people actually get their kids to potty train when they're 2? My girls are a month past 3, and they are just lazy and stubborn about it. I feel like I'm at the end of my rope. :( Picking out their own panties from the store doesn't work. Stickers don't work. Treats don't work. Crying my eyes out doesn't even work. I've tried. (LOL)

Hannah almost seems like she's warming up to the idea. Today, I told her that I will buy her the Barbie in the white dress (wedding day Barbie) if she goes potty on the toilet and wears panties all the time. She thought that sounded like a pretty good idea, so I printed her a picture of the Barbie to look at and remind her what she's working toward. I also printed one for Brooklyn, but she just told me she doesn't want to sit on the potty, she wants to go play. GAAAAAHHHHH! Anyway, I'm hoping a little bribery will at least work for one of my kids. We shall see.

Sorry for the downer of a post. I just feel like a failure, and feel like my smart kids should be potty trained. I really HATE this! I feel like a dork because I was actually bawling about this today. I think the only creature in my house that felt bad for me when I was bawling was Dora. (hehehehe)

4 comments:

Nicole said...

Brandi, seriously don't beat yourself up about it!! JB was 3 years and 3 months before he was potty trained, and he still wears pull ups to bed. I know that people probably keep telling you that they'll do it when they are ready, but really that can't be more true. It was like one day I thought it was going to take FOREVER and then the next he finally made his mind up about it and he was ready! Hang in there!!

Danielle said...

I am sorry! It stinks when our kids have those stubborn little personalities and won't do what we want! ;) The more you stress about it the more they will not want to do it. You don't want it to become a control issue. I would wait until it is warmer and then let them run naked for a few days. It would not be surprising if they do it at their own times. Good luck and I hope for your sake they catch on quickly.

Diane said...

I'm so sorry that you are struggling with this. Really though, they won't be 12 and not potty trained!! Eventually they will do it! Listen...what you need is #1 a big Diet Coke fountain from Maverick, and then #2 walk outside and look at your pretty tulips that are no longer covered in snow!! Those are both very good things!! Love you!

Teresa said...

Oh, don't feel bad at all! I know so many kids that aren't potty trained until 3.5-4 years. Emma was one of them. She was 3.5 years old. I finally did it because I realized it was probably time.

We started potty training TS when he turned two. He was mostly potty trained after a week. Actualyl, we are mostly potty trained. He can't pull his pants up or down and never tells us when he has to pee (except rarely). But if we take him regularly, he almost always holds it. Though if he has to poop, we sometimes miss that.

If you want some tips, I'm more than happy to pass them along. We did some serious reading up on it before doing it.

But first, take a break from it. You need to in order to get it to work. As for why two years old can potty train and your girls aren't, there is actually a window of opportunity at about two years old. Once it's missed, it's not until after they are three that they will likely potty train. It sounds like you're just now nearing your time of being able to successfully train them. You'll need a good break from it to give them time to kind of forget what is going on and how it's not working. Then start again in a month or two with a good plan on how to do it.

If you're really interested, just let me know and I can email you an explanation of what to do...or at least what worked for us! It might be slightly different when they are older.

And please don't feel bad! You are not a bad mom at all. You are not alone out there. There are so many kids that aren't trained. Like I mentioned above, if you miss your window at around two, you miss it for a year or so. So, it's not your fault that they aren't interested right now. Like the other ladies said, they'll eventually potty train;-)