Tuesday, August 26, 2008

It's a little scary, I know.

Yeah, I got a new church calling. Last week, I was called out of sharing time along with Greg from Elder's Quorum. The bishopric member took me in first, and I was thinking, "Good, I'm off the hook." I thought that right up until the moment he said, "Is there any reason that you couldn't fulfill a calling? Is there anything you need to talk to the Bishop about?" Since there wasn't (phew), I started sweating just a little. Greg came in, and I was asked to be the first counselor in the primary presidency.

So, that's pretty scary, right? I'm really excited, though. It's kinda crazy because I have only been in primary for about 1 year of my adult life. I'm still one of those teachers who has to use their own little songbook so I get the words to the songs right. (lol)

On Sunday, we were sustained and set apart. We had to take over on Sunday. It was a really neat experience. We had the outgoing presidency come in and share their testimonies and love for the children. Many tears were shed by teachers, kids, and us. The spirit was so strong in there. The primary kids are truly amazing little people, and I can see great things in store for them. You can just feel how much Heavenly Father loves each of them.

The scariest part is that the primary program is in about 8 1/2 weeks. So, we have that much time to write, practice, and put on the show. I'm hoping we can get it written soon! (yikes!) We've found a few ideas on Sugardoodle.com, but if anyone has any other good resources, please let me know.

The other part that scares me is that we'll most likely have to speak in church at some point. You know, they make the new presidencies speak in church. Gaaaah!! I really hope it doesn't come to that. If it does, I hope I get to go first or second so I don't feel obligated to take up very much time. (hahahahaha!) If we do have to speak in church, I'd pay someone to take my place. ;)

4 comments:

Kady said...

I'm in the opposite position. I was in the primary presidency for about 6 years and just got called to YW. Truly scary for me! Amyway, I always found that as I sat down with the outline for the year from the church, there were so many resources that the program seemed to write itself. Also, we would hand out a worksheet of simple questions about the year's topics and have the kids answer them. Then, they kind of write their own parts. Good luck! I have a feeling you'll love it.

kari said...

Congrtas on your new calling, that does sound scary. I went from the nursery to the young womens but now i love it, sometimes I feel like one of them but there sure to let me know how "old" I am.

Mandee said...

Congrats on the new calling. Yes, it may seem a little daunting, but just remember that you don't have week night activities, camp, youth conf., personal progress or a trillion meetings to attend. Primary is a fun place to be, and the kids say the DARNDEST things:)

Teresa said...

Sounds like lots of fun;-) I'm the secretary in primary. My sister is the first counselor in primary (in the same ward). We were called just about this time last year and had to get prepared for the sacrament presentation too! It's SO fun! (and you'll feel a little crazy)

It sounds like you're already loving it;-) I have always been glad I'm the secretary and not a counselor or president because I don't have to do sharing time like they do...hehe.